...because everything is funny when it's happening to someone else!


Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I did it

Well, I finally did it.

I called the local office of Babies Can't Wait and I told a very nice woman what I have had such a hard time admitting, even to myself. 

My son isn't talking.

Sometimes I feel like a terrible mother because my 26-month-old son has a vocabulary of only about 15 words.  Most of the time I feel like a terrible mother because it really doesn't bother me.  Every once in a while, we'll be around another child about Tank's age and I'll get a shock when I realize just how much other kids are talking at his age, and just how little he is saying.  But then I remind myself that he's plenty smart, can hear very well and is able to make sounds.  He just hasn't decided to let us know what's on his mind yet.  And then there are days when he's in that MOOD when I honestly don't want to know what's on his mind...I might fear for my life.

Anyway, I made the call and I finally admitted to a professional that I do think there might be some cause for concern.  I should hear back in a couple of days about an evaluation.  I have visions of lab coats and needles, but of course it'll just be some very earnest and determinedly cheerful person with lots of stuffed animals, trying to coach sounds out of my reticent little dude.  Too bad he hates stuffed animals and I hate earnest and determined cheerfulness.  Hmmm.  We might get recommended for a whole different program!

Well.  I feel better now.  Sometimes admitting you have a problem really is the first step to solving the daggum thing.

I'll let you know what happens next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment