...because everything is funny when it's happening to someone else!


Sunday, June 10, 2012

Trash to Treasure - Sweet Child O Lime

Here I am, broadcasting live from the Taj MaHell!  We drove up Friday night and our best pal/neighbor on Gilligan's Island drove up yesterday morning so that we could all get out on the river in canoes.  THAT was way less fun than anticipated.  The short version is that the water was about 3 feet too low, even with recent rains, and we walked more than we rowed.  By the end of the 3 1/2 hour trip, we could barely lift our arms! But, a bad time with good friends is still a good time, right?!  And Tank thoroughly enjoyed his first canoe outing, so all's well that ends well.


Tank, rocking the Personal Flotation Device.






I had to drop some stuff off at Goodwill the other day and just as I got there, the bottom fell out.  Rather than stand out in the rain getting my butt soaked while I strapped Tank back in his car seat, I decided to poke around.  I happened upon this little (about 10" tall) lamp and thought it had potential.




I snagged it for a whopping $3.99



Important first step:  make sure it works!





Next, tape up whatever you don't want painted:








Quick coat of primer (it dried amazingly fast in the hot sunshine!):




Then, a coat of color.  And then a second coat of color!




Here's everything I used.  I couldn't decide between the two appliques unti I saw them with the painted lamp base.  They were each $3.49 at Joann's Fabrics.  The lamp shade was $7.98 at WalMarxist.  Already had the fabric fuse.



After holding both appliques up to the shade, I liked the bird better,
although both were cute.



So, here's the finished product.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but I just love the fun color!




We'll be loading up shortly and heading back to Gilligan's Island.  Hope your weekend was great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment